Our Approach to Political Issues
We are developing a platform of proposed solutions to specific political issues. Our approach to each issue involves finding “win-win-win” solutions that integrate the values of all three major American worldviews: progressive, modern, and traditional. This win-win-win political strategy is derived from the business practice of stakeholder integration, which has proven to be highly effective at building agreement and increasing the “size of the pie.” Our evolving issue platform currently consists of the 15 political issues listed on the right, which are in various states of completion.
Our Strategy for Building Consensus
Our strategy for advancing this platform of issue positions entails “starting a conversation” on each issue within the nascent post-progressive political movement. Once a rough consensus is reached among a critical mass of postprogressives on a given issue, that issue’s recommended solutions will be proposed to the larger general public through our media channels.
Our Theory of Change
Culture and consciousness coevolve when people expand the scope of what they are able to value. Post-progressivism is accordingly working to evolve American culture by integrating values from across the political spectrum. As cultural evolution proceeds, the political viability of inclusive compromises (like the win-win-win solutions presented here), as well as more visionary solutions, will become increasingly possible. Given America’s currently gridlocked political condition, however, these proposals are being kept within the realm of “reasonably feasible to achieve.”
Climate Change is our most recently published issue position.
Please note that while this issue position already incorporates pre-publication comments from Post-Progressive Alliance members, further input is requested from the public because we view these issue positions as evolving documents that seek continuous refinement and improvement.
Thank you for considering our evolving platform of political issue proposals.
Climate Change Wins Sought for Each Major Worldview
- Political will to combat climate change would be significantly increased.
- The U.S. would demonstrate more effective international leadership on the amelioration of global warming.
- By pursuing a policy guided by ecomodernist philosophy, “humans have the opportunity to re-wild and re-green the Earth—even as developing countries achieve modern living standards, and material poverty ends.”
- A strategy that sees ongoing economic development as an indispensable precondition to preserving the environment would ensure that globalizing modernity continues to bring prosperity, connectivity, and democracy to the developing world.
- Increased government funding of technologies and industrial capabilities to address climate change would create a significant market for investment and wealth creation.
- By endorsing meaningful increases in our national efforts to ameliorate climate change, modernists would help reduce progressivism’s anti-modernist proclivities and create a more cooperative political environment.
- A twenty-first century “Manhattan Project” to transform energy technology would bolster healthy civic nationalism. America could once again become “the indispensable nation” by leading the world on this issue, and by thus passing on a homeland in which our children and grandchildren can flourish.
- The stigma of climate denialism would be reduced within conservative politics, making Republican affiliation more acceptable to young people.
- The progressive Green New Deal, and similar radical proposals, would be averted.
- The Biblical injunction for stewardship of the earth would be followed: “The earth is the Lord’s, and everything in it.”